Cagayan de Oro Hit by Flash Flood

It's been almost 2 decades since I experienced a flash floods on our old home in Barangay Carmen but after that flood in 1989 caused by typhoon Ruping, our family decided to transfer in Barangay Kauswagan around 1992. We decided to transfer because it is not easy being hit by a flash floods. The trauma, tension, fear and inconvenience are some of the feelings you can experience. Being trapped inside your house surrounded by flood waters makes you feel so scared that it might be the end of your life specially those times when I was just 10 years old and don’t know how to swim.

Now after 20 years, flash floods took place again on the same area where we previously lived. Early this morning, I just arrived home from Iligan City when I heard a radio reports about flash flood in Carmen area and the rest of the area near the Cagayan de Oro River. Without hesitations and still sleepy I prepared myself and headed to the areas being reported to witness the incident. When I arrived at the area near my childhood home, I was so surprised to see that it is not just the ordinary flood because for a few flash floods I experienced before this one is the most powerful. It reaches almost at the rooftops of the houses. I was so worried because I have some relatives who are still living on the very spot of this picture:



But thank God I received a text message from one of the relatives that they are all fine but just trapped inside their home, only they stayed on the elevated areas. Earlier they can see houses being dragged along the river and few individuals being rescued and a mother and child who were also rescued along the rushing river. Numbers of cattle were also found dead and was butchered by some residents.

Residents said that the flash flood started around 6 in the morning and they thought it is just a small flash flood but later around 7am a big wave hit the homes of residents of Carmen and that is when the water volume increased rapidly and trapped them unprepared inside their homes.

Until now, as of this writing, the flood still continues but the water is decreasing. Some residents were being temporarily sheltered at the West City Central School in Carmen until they can go back to their respective houses when the flood stops. Relief goods are also distributed to the victims and Medical attentions are also given.





More Cagayan de Oro Flash Floods Photos

Comments

William in Ks said…
Hi my heart really hurt for all the people that have lost their homes due to the flooding. I am in the tail end of a flood zone, we have flood insurance to cover any damage that can happen. I can say to date no flood in the area. My heart really pain for a woman that I have been chatting with who lives in that city. Anecita, is her name and its been a while from our last chat, so I hope and pray that she and her family are safe. Strong storms are a problem here with the season of both heavy rains and powerful tornados. Thanks for the story and I pray that the storms will move on so people can start putting their lives in order.
CDOToday Admin said…
Yeah William, thanks for the prayer... and thanks there's no much casualties just thousands of Families lost their possessions and homes.

I am glad people around the City go hand in hand to donate for the victims. the http://www.cdobloggers.com already make actions to somehow help thru ABS-CBN cagayan de oro station.
I was really frightened when I heard the news about the flash flood in Cagayan de Oro. My daughter was there during the time and I felt terrible thinking of what might happen. Thank God, she's fine. I pray that would never happen again to your place and to all of the places here in the Philippines.


Cagayan de Oro
CDOToday Admin said…
Thanks cagayan de oro house.

Hope it won't happen again. So you are connected with Sticky Media Solutions?
Cholo said…
December 16 rain poured and 1 AM December 17 flooded our home in Cagayan de Oro. This is the first time in our history that our home was flooded.

Popular posts from this blog

Mykiss' Time wasters and funny blogs and websites collections

1001 Books You Have to Read Before You Die

Circumcision May Not Impact Sexual Sensation