There are moments in life when you suddenly stop and realize something that has been in front of you all along.
Today was one of those moments.
Mama…
It took me becoming an adult to finally understand the sacrifices you made every single day.
When I was young, I thought life was simple. Food appeared on the table. The bills somehow got paid. I had clothes to wear, a roof over my head, and someone who was always there whenever I needed help. I never questioned how all of it was possible because, to me, it was just how life was.
Now I know better.
Now that I carry my own responsibilities, I understand how heavy life can be. I know what it feels like to worry about tomorrow while trying to smile today. I know how exhausting it is to keep going even when your body is tired and your mind is overwhelmed.
And that’s when I realized…
You lived that life every single day.
You woke up even when you were sick.
You kept working even when your body ached.
You carried your own worries in silence so that we would never have to carry them ourselves.
You sacrificed your dreams, your comfort, your rest, and sometimes even your own happiness just to make sure our family had everything we needed.
As children, we rarely see those sacrifices.
We only see what we receive.
We don’t see the sleepless nights.
We don’t see the tears that fall after everyone has gone to bed.
We don’t see the silent prayers whispered in the darkness, asking God to provide just enough for another day.
I didn’t see any of it.
I was too busy living my own life, thinking about myself, my wants, and my little problems. I never stopped to ask if you were tired. I never wondered if you were hurting. I simply believed you would always be okay.
Looking back now, my heart breaks.
I’m sorry, Mama.
I’m sorry I didn’t understand sooner.
I’m sorry for every time I took your love for granted.
I’m sorry for every sacrifice I never noticed and every thank you I forgot to say.
If I could go back in time, I would hug you a little longer. I would help you more. I would tell you every single day how much I loved you and how grateful I was for everything you did.
You gave us your best, even on the days when life gave you its worst.
That kind of love can never be measured.
It can only be remembered.
It’s been years since you left this world, but not a single day passes without me thinking of you. Sometimes I catch myself wishing I could tell you about my day, ask for your advice, or simply hear your voice one more time.
I miss you more than words can ever express.
But I hope you know this now.
I finally understand.
I finally see every sacrifice you made.
And I will spend the rest of my life carrying the lessons you taught me—not through words, but through the way you loved us.
Thank you for everything, Mama.
I love you.
Always.
May this be a reminder to everyone who still has their Mama with them: don’t wait for life to teach you this lesson years from now. Tell her you love her. Thank her for the countless sacrifices she makes, even the ones you never see. One day, you’ll realize that the little things she did every day were actually extraordinary acts of love. Cherish every moment while you still can.
No comments:
Post a Comment